Saturday, June 16, 2007

Lucky Me!

......Okay, so let me start this out by telling you that my husband and I have been married for 10 1/2 years. In that time my darling husband has cooked for me exactly twice. The first time was after I'd been in the hospital for a week with colitis, (he prepared a hearty meal of chicken noodle soup.....Campbell's Chicken noodle soup, that is....in the microwave.) The second was a few months after I started working at VZW. They sent me to Nashville for a week for training, and when I came home he had grilled steak with the works waiting on me! That has been more than 6 years ago...and, hold on!...here comes the point of all that!

..so, earlier in the week, I asked my beloved what he would like for Father's Day. He finally called me at home on Thursday (he was at work) to tell me that he wanted a grill for Father's Day. ........"I'm sorry,....You want what???" He said, "Yeah, I want a stainless grill for Father's Day. Just make sure you get one that's put together" (Yes, dear....we don't want to clutter the back porch with my mother's day gift that still hasn't been put together AND your Father's Day gift...well, it's not COMPLETELY put together....it's a swing, and to my husband's credit, he does have the frame standing)

Well, I still have no earthly idea what possessed him to want a grill, but I'm totally psyched about the grill thing! Last year I took our old one apart to clean it, and it hasn't worked quite right since then.

soooooooo....yesterday I go looking for a grill. Now, I am a total comparison shopper so I go online check stock and compare prices and narrow the ones I want down to 3 stores I want to check out. So, I go trade vehicles with my husband and I'm off! Well. My first mistake was to go to the local Sears. Every time I go in that place I swear I will Never go back because it's nasty and they are NEVER helpful, and yesterday was no exception. I called before I went because there are 2-3 miles of road construction to get to that store and I didn't want to bother if they didn't have what I wanted. So, when I asked if they had the grills I wanted, the chick said, "sure,....come on in and have a look at them!" Okay, so I braved the construction, drag my little man out of the truck and when I get into the store, the girl looks at me like I'm from another planet when I tell her what I want. Then she proceeds to tell me that they do have those,...in the back.....IN A BOX! And she offers to let me see them online! Hello?? Do you not remember me telling you that I saw them online already, and I'm here because I want to SEE IT IN PERSON!.....grrrrrr! (no I did not scream at the girly but man did i ever want to!) I politely told her no thank you and left.

I finally decide which one I want, make my purchase, (and by this time my child is cranky and hungry and I am the same!) So, I go to bring my truck up for my grill to be loaded and guess what happens?.....nothing. I turned the key....nothing. Okay. Unbuckle baby, walk over and ask man to bring grill across parking lot because my truck won't start and I'm thinking, he'll offer to boost me off.....(this is THE SOUTH after all) No he didn't. Neither did the 2 "men" who helped him load the very expensive grill I had just purchased from their store. (Maybe I should have just bought the grill at Sears, at least I knew right up front that they didn't give a rip!)


I go back into the store, purchase jumper cables (because my husband never carries them with him) and sit in truck, hood up...doors open (because windows won't go down with dead battery and it's 95 degrees) and wait. Finally a nice man tries to help me boost it off but that doesn't work, so I call hubby back (for about the 3rd time) to tell him that he's going to have to leave work to come get me (it's almost time for him to get off anyway) He was not happy about having to come get me (30 minutes away from his work and our house!) However, I very quickly reminded him that I was NOT happy to have to sit and wait on him for what had already been an hour and was about to be at least 30 more minutes, and that Carter was hot and hungry and we were sitting outside in a swing because I didn't want to leave the grill unattended with all these helpful people around! He finally made it 53 minutes later. (Yes, I counted) We ended up buying a new battery and finally making it home!

With the luck I had yesterday, I was afraid to use the grill due to the fact that I might start a massive forest fire or burn down our house. Maybe I should have just gotten him one of those free grills I posted about before!

6 comments:

Dianne said...

Great gift idea, but that sounds like a comedy of errors, doesn't it? Not yours of course! It also sounds like a good day to forget! :-)

Crystal said...

What a day!

Hopefully the grill will be worth it. :)

Anonymous said...

So sorry. Maybe at least you'll get a good steak for all your troubles. :) Maybe.

Rita Loca said...

You made me laugh, you will never forget this fathers Day!

Julie said...

Good golly girl, that sounds awful.

I hope you get a good steak dinner out of it (that your hubby prepares on his new grill).

Anonymous said...

That's so funny, I am getting Michael a grill for Father's Day. Well, late Father's Day. Because we are in the process of moving the last thing we want to do is add to the massive pile we already have. So, it'll wait another month or so.

Enjoy the burgers!! Yummy!