....do you ever have those days when you just know from the beginning it's not gonna be good? Today was one of those days for me! We got in bed around midnight last night due to the fact that we are irrigating right now since there has been no rain here basically all summer. And I kid you not, we laid down, closed our eyes, and 2 seconds later, my husbands fire radio went off. Brush fire, a pretty serious thing since there has been no rain. So, he leaves and I assume my usual "fire during the night worrying position" which would be watching HGTV in bed while waiting on him to come home.
At some point, I fell asleep because my clock went off this morning and he was still out fighting fire and checking the irrigation system. (Happy Father's Day, dear!) Poor Carter didn't sleep either and my first clue this was gonna be a long day came when he fell asleep in his high chair! Seriously! He was jabbering away one minute, asleep the next.
Well, today was a special day at our church because the preacher and his family have been on vacation and we had a big surprise waiting for them when they came home....and I wasn't going to let a cranky sleepy baby, or husband stop me from going to church. Now, why I picked today to sit close to the front, I'll never be able to explain except for lack of sleep, but I did. And my child was bad. I mean.....BAD! He whined and tried to escape and on and on and on....and I realize I should have taken him to the nursery but I'm trying to teach him that he has to be quiet during church and normally he's pretty good.........but not today! I know this because I saw pretty much every woman over 60 turn to see just who's child this was making all the racket! Some even had to lean around their husband to look across 2 isles of pews! Yeah, it was that bad.
To make matters even worse. My hair looked like total crap today. I knew it when I left my house, and had no time to do anything about it. I have long hair that is naturally curly and with this heat lately, it's just basically a sad, frizzy mess. Today I just clipped it in a low ponytail and hoped for the best. Had I known I would be drawing so much attention, I might have made more effort! As I wrestled my child during church, I could feel curl after curl slipping loose and by the time I finally got to a mirror I looked like a bad mug shot.....red eyes and all!
A-N-Y-W-A-Y! The wonderful surprise for the pastor and his family was worth it all! We(the congregation) got them a shiny, new truck! I have known about this surprise for months and almost let it slip to Lisa (the preachers wife) once, (but I didn't!) so I'm glad that the cat is finally out of the bag! The excitement this past week has just been buzzing since they were gone and everyone knew today was the big day!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago


8 comments:
Oh my goodness....that totally rocks!!!!! I bet they were speechless, especially after the little truck episode =)) That rocks!
You know as well as anyone how "wild" my kids can get especially when they were smaller and especially at church. People would always say "dont you worry about those babies, they are not bothering everyone else as much as it bothers you." I heard this hundreds of times and I would think yeah right then why are you all staring at us. Maybe they were right because I could here little man yesterday, but he wasnt bothering me at all. We have all had to learn the rules in life and I think you do a wonderful job with him. And btw your hair looked fine. Love you all.
Wow, what a nice blessing!!
I bet seeing how excited they must have been made up for the bad day. :)
Crystal, It definatly did! Completely worth it!
Deedra
I understand about keeping the baby in church. What I do is keep her with me until worship is over and then put her in the nursery. Usually the music drones out the whining. :)
How nice of your church to give that to the pastor. I'm sure you all were a major blessing to them yesterday!
That picture of your son alseep on his tray is precious! Poor thing! But what a cool day it turned out to be...I don't blame you, I wouldn't have missed it either!
Deedra - you crack me up on your description of your church day :) - I can even picture you 'wrestling' your child to behave and your hair coming undone :) - Poor little guy just falling asleep in the high-chair :) - too cute.
I think I would have made the same decision though -- not missing church because of the big surprise afterward.
Thank you so much for putting a smile on my face today - I had one of those Mondays!!!
Girl, let me just say that you guys sure know how to love on your preacher! THAT is awesome!
And what a way to bless them --God is truly working in all there at your church!
Good for you all!
Post a Comment