.....I didn't get to post a Thankful Thursday post this week. My husband's first cousin died suddenly on Tuesday and his funeral was Thursday. To say the circumstances surrounding his death are heartbreaking would be to put it mildly. He was 40 years old. He suffered a heart attack and died at home alone. He was found approximately 12 hours later. His name was Brian. Brian has one daughter, Kelly (approx 19 or 20 yrs old). Kelly is getting married today, Saturday, August 4th. Heartbreaking!
Brian hadn't had an easy life. His mother abandoned him and his 2 brothers at a really early age. The youngest was only an infant. I do not judge her, I have no idea the circumstances surrounding this. I have always wondered, "maybe she hit the breaking point, and rather than harm her children, she left." I don't know. Anyway, their grandmother, and my mother in law basically took care of them while their father worked. Then a few years later, God sent them an angel of a stepmother. I think the world of this woman. To come in to this situation, with a daughter of her own, and raise someone else's 3 boys as your own, plus eventually give birth to another boy as well! Yes, an angel indeed!
The past couple of years Brian had really been struggling with different circumstances in his life. He was really troubled and increasingly depressed. He had several physical ailments as well. Anyway, I say all of that to say this,....I do believe that Brian is resting with God. I believe he is finally at peace. He professed his faith many times, and despite the recent circumstances, I know that a few weeks ago he made peace with God.
Now, during his funeral the minister said something that touched me so deeply. It was as if God sent that message directly to me! The minister said that Brian had asked him once to speak at his funeral. He said that He wanted the minister to tell his Aunt Doris (my mother in law) that he knew she was his prayer warrior. That no matter what, he knew she was always praying for him. And as I sat there and watched her cry, I know that is true!
I know that she is my prayer warrior as well. And my husband, and son's....even my mother's! I know that if no one else thinks to pray for me that day, ....she does. Every single day. I can't tell you the number of times I have stood outside her house and heard her praying....through the walls! Begging and agonizing with God over whatever was going on at that time.
We often joke about the messages she writes in her greeting cards. Every single time she sends one she signs it: "praying for you all" This wouldn't be a joking matter unless maybe she wasn't really happy with you at the time, you know, wondering just exactly what she was praying for!
I am so truly grateful for her. I am grateful for every prayer that she sends up on my behalf, and the behalf of my family. While we don't always see eye to eye, I think I have a lot to learn from her. As I try to raise my child, I want to be the mother that he knows is praying for him. I want to be the praying mother, wife, and daughter, and sister, and aunt, and daughter in law!
I often tell my husband, who is so busy that he doesn't always take the time to visit his parents like he should, that he had better be very nice to his parents, and grandparents. Even if he really doesn't feel like it at the time. Even if it IS their fault that he doesn't feel like it. Because our child is learning from us. He will very likely do as we do in those areas. And we will be on the receiving end. Our son will also be learning where God fits into his life from us. This is such a huge responsibility that prayer and the grace of God will be the only way to succeed!
Please remember Kelly and the rest of the family today as she makes her walk down the isle without her dad by her side.


8 comments:
Oh Deedra. This one hits a little close to home for me, and my heart aches for Kelly. I was 20 when my Dad (49) died from a heart attack. But I simply cannot imagine the pain she must be going through.
My heart goes out to them.
And may we all be a little more like Doris. Wow....what a blessing.
I am so at a loss for words, there is joy and pain here all in the mix. And what Kelly is going through, I just can not imagine.
I will be praying for her leading up to her wedding. May she feel God's as her heavenly Father strongly that day.
Blessings.
I'm so sorry to hear of this sadness. But, how blessed it is when we know our loved ones are walking with God. A young man in our church died this week, and the funeral is tomorrow. I will pray for this young bride as she experiences such happiness and sadness at the same time.
Lots of lessons in your post today.
Blessings, Tonja
I agree with Tonja. This is a powerful post and there are lots of lessons there. I am late reading this, but I will certainly pray for Kelly now that I know. I just cannot imagine. What a hard thing to experience at what is supposed to be such a happy time. Again, I just can't imagine!
Oh, Deedra - I don't know what to say..."I am sorry" really doesn't cut it.
It is beautiful and sad at the same time. I am sorry that Brian went home so young, but I know that God had His reason calling him home. We might not understand until we get to heaven why some people die so young.
What a woman of God you mother-in-law is. So precious that she pray for you all like that.
I hope that Kelly still had a nice wedding, even without her dad by her side.
Thank you for sharing from your heart...
Blessings to you and yours.
How blessed you are to have such a prayer warrior in your family.
My heart goes out to your family on this tragic loss. I will definitely be keeping Kelly in my prayers.
Take care,
Julie
I understand this one way to much. My heart goes out to each of you. I lost my husband from his value in the heart bursting 3 1/2 yrs ago. He was only 37 at the time and my children were 15 and 14. It was the hardest thing for my two children and I to go through, but with God and family, friends we were able to make it. We still miss him dearly.
Your family will be in our prayers.
Wow, my heart goes out to Kelly. That truely must have been hard.
What an amazing thing to be a prayer warrior! She will never know how deeply her prayers have touched the heart of Christ until she gets to heaven, and what a reward she will have on that day! Amazing!
Post a Comment