Thursday, January 31, 2008

Eleven......

...That's how many years it's been since Kyle and I married. ELEVEN! Today! How can I possibly be old enough to have been married for 11 years??? A fact that hadn't really been weighing on my mind due to the craziness of this past week, but was rudely brought forward when at 1:32 AM this morning I was awoken by Victoria Principal trying her best to sell me her "Age Braker" miracle cream. Should I chalk that up to yet another night of prenatal insomnia or is it a sign?

Normally an anniversary is such a happy day but today we greet with such mixed emotion. Jill will be laid to rest today. Even that is met with mixed emotion. There is relief that the suffering she has endured for so long is over, and the knowledge that she is resting with God. Then there is such saddness that the girl who we grew up with, the one with the brightest, prettiest red hair, and the voice of an angel, is gone. That there is a little boy who will grow up without his mother, and a mother who will carry on without her daughter. A sister who will not have that sister to call on.

We drove home from the funeral home in complete silence last night. Changed and went to bed in silence as well. Even Carter knew something was different. That we were sad. I think that in addition to Kyle being sad, he was afraid to say anything. Afraid that he might set off another hormonal breakdown. He has been great this past week. He went when I wanted to go. He stayed when I wanted to stay. He listened when I wanted to talk, or cry. He sat there quietly when I didn't.

I have been blessed. Thank you, Kyle, for the best eleven years I could have ever imagined. I look forward to many many more.

9 comments:

A Stone Gatherer said...

Have a happy anniversary today! Find a moment in this emotional day just for the 2 of you! I will be lifting you all up in prayer!

K. Tilley said...

Happy Anniversary Deedra, I hope you and Kyle have a wonderful day. So sorry to hear about Jill. I did not know her but Brian did. When I showed him her picture from your blog and asked him if he knew her, he said yes, and then told me her address......that's what you get when you live with an UPS man....He then told me a funny story about leaving a package at her house and her jack russell destroying it. My heart goes out to all her family.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to my favorite brother-in-law and sister-in-law. Where has 11 years gone? It seems like only yesterday we were all just dating.

So sorry to here about Jill.

Tammy

Natalie said...

Thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a powerful post. I was in tears (surpirse) by the end. To know how much saddness is just in our small community. But to see such love coming from such a supportive man. Happy Anniversary! We love you guys!

K. Tilley said...

Deedra, you have got to get some sleep....your comment to carrie was at 2:45am.......your wearing me out!!!

Tonja said...

Hi Deedra,
It'a very hard to be sad and happy all at the same time isn't it? I am sorry for your loss and will pray for her family. How tragic.
Best wishes on your anniversary. Be sure to remember to take care of yourself today, God Bless.

terri said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Jill looks like she was a beautiful and much loved young woman.
I hope you find some time in your day to rejoice in your marriage of 11 years. Happy Anniversary. :)

Carrie said...

Hey girl,
I'm so sorry to hear about Jill. I listened to her singing and it was great. You and her family have been in my prayers.
Happy Anniversay to you! You have such a lovely family!
Carrie