.....because do you know what time it is?
It's time for the 2008 Winter X Games! Woohooo!
I firmly believe, and have for quite some time, that I was born in the wrong generation, and quite possibly the wrong place. Why you ask? Well that is because I love me some X games! There is nothing I'd rather watch on TV than the Flying Tomato soaring over the pipes doing 1080's and listening to his Ipod all the while. I mean, how much cooler could it possibly get?
I am a total x game junkie.
That in itself is strange considering I am a 32 year old woman born and raised in the south where the closest we come to the X games is riding on an old car hood pulled by the fastest ATV you can find during the increasingly rare snows of winter. Now, I'm not knocking a good ride on a car hood in the snow. You. Go. Very. Fast. In fact, you go so fast that you hold on for dear life not for the simple fact that if you fall off you fear it will hurt, but because you know that if you fall off it will kill you. Never mind the fact that your dad is driving and he is in fact the biggest daredevil of them all! (Just now I'm wondering where my mom was during these rides....hmmmm.)
Another thing that makes my X Games fascination so strange is that I am 32. I mean, if you watch those games you're lucky to see anyone in their 20's, it's rare to see anyone mid 20's.....but 30? Never! I can tell you why that is as well. Because once you pass the mid 20's and you fall going 90 mph in the snow.......it hurts. It hurts like you never knew you could hurt.
My family took this family ski trip a few years ago. My husband and I, and most everyone else on the trip, with the exception of my sister, Crystal, and her husband had never been skiing. My husband and I were pumped! I had been water skiing a million times, we both love to knee board and tube in the summer, how much different could snow skiing be?....Let me just tell you. Snow does not give. But oh did we ever have fun! My husband is so fun to do things like this with. He loves going to water parks, and I love going with him because he giggles like a 12 year old girl the whole day! He didn't disappoint during our ski trip.
He would be flying up behind me and I would know instantly it was him because I could hear that giggle a mile away! We skied for 12 or so hours that first day and I fell so many times I lost count. Once I thought I'd killed myself. I honestly saw stars. Turns out, it wasn't stars, it was snow. Packed into every orifice on your face that snow can pack itself into. I knew I was alive when I heard the panicked voice of my sister who'd saw the fall and also thought I'd killed myself. None of us walked pain free the next day......why didn't I learn to do this when I was like, 5?
So, needless to say, you won't soon find me soaring over the pipes on my snowboard, or turning back flips on my snowmobile.....I have conceded that these sports are for those of the younger generation. (GASP! did I really just say that?????) But you will find me glued to ESPN for the next few nights, dreaming of my X Games that wasn't to be.
Sigh.
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago


2 comments:
Deedra,
You have to know that this doesn't surprise me since we share an undying love for Toby Mac. I'm thinkin' there aren't many 30 something preacher wives squealing 10 minutes late into the church parking lot with 'BOOMIN' blasting out the speakers.
I guess that would be about as Xtreme sport as I get. lol
I hope you are enjoying the games immensely. Please know I'm also praying for your cousin...That is just so heartbreaking.
Lisa
Lisa, Toby Mac's "SLAM" was actually one of the theme songs a couple of years ago! Maybe that's why I love them so!
Post a Comment