Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Nesting 101....

...at least I'm hoping this is my nesting phase, 'cause if I'm not nesting now and I have to do it again in a month or so it just might kill me! Seriously! My husband comes home most days to see a new "project" completed. He's like, "What's up with you?"

First let me tell you that we have lived in our new house for just over 2 years. I found out I was pregnant with Carter 1 week before we moved in and was working more than full time then. Then the whole newborn thing, and really, who wants to decorate when they can barely get a shower? Anyway, the whole time we have lived here there have been many things I wanted to get done and it seems that I have decided that they will be done now. Well, at least most of them.

Right after I took down my Christmas tree I decided I wanted to recover my dining room chairs. All 8 of them. RIGHT THEN! I've had the fabric forever, and so what if its 11:00 PM. Okay, so that's done. The next day I decided that I would make curtains for the big window in my kitchen. I've had that fabric for a while too. Those only take a few hours to make, then I have to cut the wood for the cornice boards (which I have also had for ages), assemble them and wait for my husband to get home from work to help me hang them. ( I am not hormonal enough to tackle climbing a ladder with a curious toddler nearby and a prego belly and a cornice board, and a drill.....at least not yet!) So, during the hours I have to kill before he gets home, I clean out his closet and the closet in the kitchen.

He is so astonished at my accomplishments for the day, and the fact that he has hot, homemade food to eat I don't hear one single complaint about being his being forced to climb a ladder to hang my masterpiece after working a 14 hour day!

Then, this past Saturday we had a birthday party for my father in law. He doesn't get to see his brothers during Christmas so we made an extended family thing out of it. Not a lot of work, really. We did chili, hot dogs, assorted finger foods and desserts (my sister in law, Tammy, brought two of THE best cakes I have ever tasted BTW!...oh yeah, you better believe I sampled both!)

Anyway, add to all that the toddler chasing, normal cleaning and overall basic living, and I could barely get out of bed Sunday morning. My baby girl likes hanging out against my sciatic nerve apparently. Then, during church the nausea hit me like a truck. I knew I couldn't get up and leave without Carter having a fit, so I had to decide whether I could make it to the bathroom carrying him without hurling or fainting. I did make it.

Again Monday morning I could barely get out of bed. Thankfully though my regular OB appointment was at 8:30 and I could find out what in the world was going on. My doctor does a sonogram at every visit and knows me well enough to know that I want that done first, then after we see that the baby is okay we can talk about everything else. When I told him what was going on, he asked if I'd been on my feet more than usual....ummmm, welllll,...yes.

He reminded me of the month I spent on bedrest before Carter was born. (well, at least he thought I was on bedrest, he said "stay off your feet" I thought that meant "stop working and sit at the pond fishing with your feet propped up" It wasn't until my 2 week post delivery checkup that he ever said the word "bedrest"....oops! Anyway, I have to slow down with my nesting, and see how it goes over the next few weeks.

The good news is that I only gained a couple of pounds last month (which is a complete miracle considering how many functions we went to and how much I ate!) AND! at my next appt I will be 30 weeks and will get to have a 4D ultrasound! I'm really excited about that! Carter looked exactly like the 4D! He still makes some of the same expressions we saw on the ultrasound! I'm hoping that IF we still don't have a name at that point, and IF she lets us see her face, that will help us along in the naming process!


...........MAYBE!!

6 comments:

Full of Grace said...

I'm glad you were enjoying tackling new projects, but glad the dr. told you to slow down too! How exciting to have a 4D ultrasound- our insurance doesn't cover them so it is the plain ol' jane ol' ones for us :) But you know what...I wouldn't trade em' for the world, because I get to see that everything is okay with my little one (and get a photo or two of him/her in the process) :)

A said...

Hmm . . . is the 4D when you can actually see the shape of the babe? Why is that 4D and not 3D? High, wide, deep? What's the 4th?

Anyway- I love those pictures. Some friends of mine sent theirs out on their blog for their last daughter. Absolutely phenomenal!

Take it easy. Do one thing at a time or something- you'll have time to rest when they're 30, right? JK, follow the doctor's orders!

A

Tonja said...

You know, all those things you want to get done...they'll wait. And, if your house is like my house...NO ONE else will try to take it away from you. Relax...and take care of you...

Blessings!

Unknown said...

Well, you have to recover chairs and make curtains when you're in the MOOD! I understand...though your body makes you tired when you're pg for a reason...
And if you want to nest on my way, I need some curtains made for my nursery:-)

Cheryl said...

Girl! You better take it easy. You know that all of that stuff will be ready and waiting on you. If your house is like mine. If I don't do it it does not get done! Ross thinks that he does everything around here. NOT! Anyway, get some rest!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Will you come to my house? :)