Monday, January 21, 2008

Never leave home without it!

...without what, you ask? Well, let me tell you, I had one of my most embarrassing moments in a while the other day in Lifeway. Carter and I had been rushing around all morning getting ready to go do some shopping and right before we left I decided to pick up his toys one last time.

Lately he has this fascination with spoons. He eats everything with a spoon, and requires one when he is playing with toys or looking at a book. His favorite spoons to play with are from the silverware set that my grandmother gave me as a wedding present, so whenever I catch him putting one down, I grab it up and either replace it with a less sentimental one, or divert his attention elsewhere. This particular morning I found a spoon lying with his tractors and rather than go through the drama of him seeing me put it up, I stuck it in the back pocket of my jeans and continued on with my cleaning up.

Do you wanna guess when I remembered it? Yeah, in Lifeway. So, let me lay this out for you. I have been in two or three stores, pumped gas, paid for it, stood in line in various places and bent over who knows how many times to pick up various flying objects from Carter's stroller. All the while this large silver serving spoon is sticking out of the pocket of my ample pregnant behind.

Great. Just Great. I immediately began running through the many possible things that would go through my head had I seen someone in the same situation.

"Gee, that lady really doesn't wanna miss a meal, does she?" "Man, she can really fit a lot of pickles and ice cream on that huge spoon!" "Are the spoons at the restaurant/drive thru not big enough for her?" Just to name a few.

I had to laugh. Then quickly shove the massive spoon in my massive bag, which I'm sure anyone watching thought must hold massive amounts of snacks to sustain my massive rear end, and carry on with my day.

5 comments:

Full of Grace said...

All I can say is hahahahaha :) Talk about a picture you painted with your words! Embarrassing yes, but terribly funny too :)

The Henderson's said...

Oh Deedra! Sorry for the embarrassment, but what a story. I thought crap like that could only happen to me...

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Oh Deedra, thank you for the laugh today! Hilarious!

A said...

They probably thought you were stealing it!

Too funny! Good thing it was the older stuff, or someone might have locked you up! :)

Emily said...

oh.my.goodness. I would have loved to be one of the people in line behind you snickering : )