
For the ones of you who don't live in Alabama, or near it, you may not know that today is the Iron Bowl. This is the day each year that Alabama and Auburn meet up to fight it out in what is commonly dubbed "the game of the year" with the winning team winning bragging rights for the next year. (although I haven't really heard much bragging among anyone other than grade schoolers in years)
Anyway, I am not exactly a die hard, dress up in team colors, go to every game, decorate my home and car kind of fan, and I generally pull for both Alabama & Auburn throughout the year..... except in this game. I want Auburn to win. Mainly because many Bama fans tend to bear a striking resemblance to a certain team a bit north of here who wear orange and white, as far as the level of obnoxiousness goes, when things are good in T' town.
As most of you know, Auburn has won for the past 6 years (maybe that's why there has been no grade school type bragging? hmmm...not sure.) which leads me to my point. See that picture above? That's from Channel 19. I generally watch that station for news and have seen that picture along with hearing the bone jarring voice that says "Iron Bowl 2008, Perfection vs. Redemption" at least a thousand times in the past week or so. While I know that it's referring to the far less than perfect season that Auburn has had and the perfect season (as far as wins at least, not perfect performance by any means) Alabama has had so far this year, it's still really annoying.
As far as facts go, Auburn has actually won the "Iron Bowl" more times than Alabama has and has had multiple winning seasons over the past several years while Bama has performed far less than perfect for quite some time now, at least until this year. One bad season and AU is seeking redemption? Riding Tuberville out on a rail? Please!
Anyway, whoever wins today's game, I'm pretty sure I'll not loose any sleep over it. Carter and I usually spend our time in front of the TV on game day watching for Uncle Chris & Aunt Crystal on TV at the game....we'll be watching for Uncle Chris today wearing his Crimson & White (and you know we'll find him in 100,000+ people!)
I thought about dressing Carter in his Bear Bryant hat and his Auburn shirt...lol! We have said both "Roll Tide" and "War Eagle" so many times this year, he's adapted his own shortened version of both now, which his dad, grandparents and everyone else of "Tide" descent just love ...I'll leave you with it...
"Rollllll Eagle!!"
That's my boy!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago


10 comments:
Oh, yes THE game of the season! My husband and I and our son all went to Samford U. But, I have 2 nieces...1 went to Auburn, the other to Alabama...so I never know who to root for...:)
War Eagle!!!! I grew up cheering for Auburn because my moms brother played basketball for Auburn and then my cousin played golf for them as well. I personally did not go there to school ( my degree actually has that other school mentioned on it) but I do hope they win today and always. Win or loose doesn't matter to me, my heart belongs to those Tigers. I do hope that Hayden will choose Auburn to go to college at but if he doesn't, hey, I'll be tickeled where ever he goes.......well, except for that team just north of us, UNLESS he has a scholarship and it pays for EVERYTHING...LOL
WAR EAGLE! Love your post today! I have read it to MANY Alabama fans. Especially my hubby! But I have 1 request......please don't put Carter in that Bear Bryant hat.... I can't stand those hats!! LOL!
I bleed CRIMSON. I am outnumbered 4-1. I am not obnoxious but I know some Tigers AND Elephants that are. Thanks for saying "many" and not ALL Bama fans remind you of big "O" fans. MW has said for years that Bama fans were awful; worse than Auburn fans.How does he know ? He's an Auburn Fan, that would be like the "pot calling the kettle black". I had to remind #2 Son that I am the one that buys his Auburn & JD shirts.He better keep his "cheers" to himself if they are not for Bama, except for today, he can cheer all he wants to.
Enjoy the game & ROLL TIDE !!!!!!!
Lorrie
-
WAAAAR EAAAAGGGLLLEEE! As I'm sure you already read on my blog I just graduated from Auburn, and I am a Tiger fan through and through. For me, this is actually the game of the season where my family is actually all on my side! I'm for Georgia so the whole season is war over who's better Auburn or UGA. Thank goodness with both want Alabama to lose today! lol. Happy to know you'll be rooting for Auburn too today.
That's so adorable Carter says Roll Eagle! I already told my family about that and they all said " Awwww!!! That's so cute!!"
Have a great time watchin the game! Should be great no matter who wins! :)
ROLL TIDE! When Greg and I were dating, we were eating dinner at his house. I showed up with Alabama sweats on. He told me then that if I had shown up wearing Auburn, he would have asked me to leave. LOL Needless to say, we definately support the Tide!
Carter is too funny! I saw him in his hat once. Too precious!
I am not a big sports fan. Ross, Tommy and both brothers love Alabama. They are watching the game right now. I think little Carter would be cute in anything. Anna thinks he is the cutest thing! I still have my Christmas card from last year with his picture. We think it is adorable! Hope you are enjoying the game.
As someone who just left Trenton this afternoon -- it wasn't hard to figure out who was playing who today......And while I am a Dawgs fan -- I saw a million and 1 people wearing their crimson and white on the way through to Tuscaloosa today......
=)
Sometimes I wish I lived in Texas. I love how you are so over the top about your football teams. Very fun.
War Eagle! I'm still paying for my education...so I feel totally obligated to be loyal! But seriously, I love the school, the town, everything! I had a great experience at Auburn and will love it forever. Regarding the Iron Bowl and bragging...I have experienced many obnoxious comments lately from the enemy camp in crimson. I just remind myself that they can't help themselves...they have soooo much pent up frustration from the last HOW MANY years of losing? It must feel good to let it out!
Post a Comment