Monday, November 24, 2008

Update! A bit better!

First of all, thank you all so much for all of the comments, emails, texts, calls, and most importantly PRAYERS over these past several days! Carter seems to be feeling better this morning, and while he still has a temp, it's only 101.3 which is much better than the 104+ it has been for the past few days!

To update everyone on what's been going on since Thursday: We went back to the Dr Friday and they basically repeated everything they did on Thursday except they added some fluids via the IV to try to keep him from getting dehydrated. The blood culture that they drew on Thursday wasn't growing anything at last check, which is good, hopefully whatever this is is viral and not bacterial. The poor baby has been checked for everything from a spider bite ( I killed a black widow outside the garage a few days ago...second one in a couple of months!) to pneumonia to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (we pretty much live in the woods, therefore there are ticks in this area) and Roseiola (aka German Measles...Kyle's 1st cousin died from this as an infant several years ago).

I am a "fact checker" and went in that office every time with a list of questions complete with symptoms, times of temps taken, meds given, poops, pees and everything that went into or came out of his mouth......I'm pretty sure they knew that I wasn't going to be happy with an answer such as "it may just be a virus". I hope it is just a virus, but don't think for a minute we're going to wait around for a week to find out without checking when I know my baby, and I KNOW this isn't normal for him. Thank goodness Dr. Jeanie felt the same way! The minute she walked by our room and saw Carter limp in my arms, she came in and started checking him out.

He usually enters the office saying, "Doooctor Jeeeanie?!!!" and proceeds to go all the way to the end of the hall, around the corner and down another hall and right to her office....every time! I have apologized many times for this but she assures me she adores him and loves the fact that he remembers her name, and loves her as much as she does.

Anyway, late Friday night he broke out in a horrible rash and when I called the doc on call, they said that with everything else he had going on we should bring him in to the ER. We are new at this. So new that when I dozed off on the ride up there (no sleep in 2 days will do that), I woke up and noticed we were going the wrong way. "Where are you going?!!" I asked my equally exhausted husband. "To the hospital!!" He was going to the hospital where our babies were delivered....not to Childrens! Thankfully, we could still take another exit and get there pretty quick! When the triage nurse noticed who our pediatrician was she said, "she's actually working the ER tonight, let me see if she's still here!" Thankfully, she was! At this point, I doubt Carter would have let anyone else come near him!

Dr Jeanie believes the rash is an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. I think she is probably right. Both times I have had a Csection I have had a horrible reaction to the spinal block. My face is blotchy and red, and ITCHY BEYOND BELIEF! My lips swell and my nose is a lovely cross between Rudolph and a very large potato. Nice. Carter looked a lot like this.

After more tests we got to come home, but they still wanted to check him in the office later that day....Saturday. (they are OPEN, imagine that!) She didn't give him more antibiotics due to the reaction, but did give fluids and called to check on him later that evening and again yesterday.

I am supposed to call them with an update this morning and then we'll go from there, but I am really hopeful! He seems to be feeling a little better and fever is down some, so maybe whatever this nasty stuff is has run it's course!....and maybe Lilah won't partake of it!

Thank you all again so much for your prayers & well wishes!

I'll leave you with a pic of Carter as he enjoyed Alvin & The Chipmunks yesterday. He didn't dance along with the music as he usually does, but he did manage to hold his head up for most of the movie, which is a definite improvement!

...and Lilah would like to say, she will also be glad when her big brother is feeling better! His sickness is making her a bit grumpy!

11 comments:

Mindy said...

Still praying for you and your little guy.
Hoping you all get rest soon!
And I love that 'grumpy' picture of Lilah. She is too cute!

Lori said...

Thanks for the update, I sure hope he gets better soon. What a wild ride. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Shaunta said...

I am so glad to hear that he is getting better! I don't know what this thing is that all these babies are sick with, but it is HORRIBLE! Minus the rash, that sounds exactly like my niece last week. They finally told them it was something viral, too. Still praying for you guys!

Judith said...

Glad to hear the fever is down and gotta love the facial expression on Lilah's photo. "Where is my big brother and why is he not playing with me?"

Carrie said...

He still looks so peeked (not sure how to spell that southern word;). Praying he is getting better by the minute!

Anonymous said...

I think I have seen that look before, not gonna say where!!! Love ya girl!

Dianne said...

Thanks for the update. Hopefully things are on the upswing. He is an adorable little boy even when he isn't feeling well. Keep us posted and I'll keep remembering y'all.

Anonymous said...

What a relief the little guy is better! Still praying for you all.
Lilah's pic just cracked me up!!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful he is feeling better and also thank you for posting the new picture. Even though he doesnt look like his energetic self yet, he looks so much better than the last picture posted. I am thankful he just feels like sitting up.

As for Lilah, that expression is priceless. Let's tell Rachel that she is taking after her when she is grumpy. Lol.

Still praying for all of you. Love you all very much.

Tammy

A said...

What a picture of Lilah! That will come back to haunt her in a few years! The little grumpy snarl is too cute!

I'm glad to hear that Carter is feeling somewhat better. I pray it continues!

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Amanda

Cheryl said...

He still looks pale in the picture but looks much better than the last pic. How on earth did you get her to make that face??? how cute! So glad to hear that he feels better. Thanks for keeping us updated!