Monday, April 16, 2007

Eighteen And Life....

...when I was eighteen this song was huge! It was by the group Skid Row and, of course, it was our anthem that year. We were big, bad, and on our way in to the real world. Some of my friends chose the path similar to this song. Others chose the straight and narrow path, and the rest of us fell somewhere in between. Just trying to be the best we could be, and find ourselves somewhere along the way.

Yesterday one of the youth we are really close to at church turned 18. My husband and I both teased his mom about being old enough to have an 18 year old, but then tonight after little man went to sleep I started thinking about this young man and tried to remember how old he was when we first got to know him. I'm thinking about 12 or 13.

He and a group of his friends used to ride their dirt bikes to our house on a regular basis. They rolled our yard(who knew you could use a potato gun to roll a yard?),ate all the food in my house on several occasions, rode 4 wheelers with us, and have even seen me on a knee board in the river more times than I can count. This particular young man has a special place in my heart because he and one other young man came to my house the night after I had one of my miscarriages just to love on us a little bit. And, for a 15 or 16 year old to take the time to do THAT is a really big deal! He is going to graduate high school in just over a month and take the next steps in his life.

A bunch of us went out after church yesterday to celebrate with him, and it was a really diverse group. Ranging in age from the really old (GLEN), to the very young. There were probably over 20 of us and there were a few under 10, then from 10-20, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's....each one of us excited to see him embark on this new season in his life, and each one of us will be praying for him. The younger ones will look up to him, and the older ones will watch out for him. All of us are better for having him in our lives and I am so excited to see what he decides to do with his life.

I am also excited that God has put my family in the midst of all these wonderful people at this time in our lives. I know that my son is loved by each one of these people, both old (GLEN) and young, and that they will help to mold and shape the man he becomes. For that, I am very thankful!

7 comments:

Full of Grace said...

You are right- for 15/16 year olds to care enough to stop by to "love on you" after such a traumatic event, is a really big deal! What a wonderful tribute to, from the sounds of it, a young adult who seems to be good and grounded :) I hope that most importantly, his love for the Lord continues to grow, as he matures into the man God intended him to be :)

Rita Loca said...

It is great to see friends of mixed ages!

Lori said...

What a sweet blessing. And it makes me tell my 13 yr old not to grow so fast....=)

Anonymous said...

So cool that you all went out for his birthday celebration :)...Awesome that you live in such a wonderful neighborhood.

Blessings on your Monday and always.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was finally thru crying and then Kenneth has to call to tell me to look at your BLOG. THANKS A BUNCH!! The girls at work think I am crazy.

Deedra said...

I'm sorry "anonymous"! I didn't mean to make you cry,....again!!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Okay, first I am jealous because 'anonymous' has never commented on MY BLOG! And then, I am sniffing cause we all sure do love that 18 year old you are talking about... And also, that was such a fun lunch...What does Toby Mac say, DIVERSE City?..And finally, the thing I thought about most is how I can not wait to see how my Big Daddy is going to influence your Precious Baby Boy.:)