Friday, April 20, 2007

Grandpa Rides Again...

UPDATED TO ADD: Keep in mind that Grandpa himself has laughed about this story, although I'm not sure his son has. I love my husband's Grandfather dearly and would never want to make fun of him. That being said, this story is just too darn funny not to share! And Grandpa is not feeling well today so I know he would be glad to know he helped to make someone smile!


Okay, so I've mentioned Grandpa before. Well, he absolutely has outdone himself this time! Grandpa Archie is 86 and is diabetic. I think surely he must have lapsed into some sort of diabetic episode when this happened a while ago. Surely!

Let me start by telling you a bit about my husband's uncle. Grandpa's son. He is the 3rd of 4 children but you would definitely think he is the youngest by the way he acts. (No offense to all you "youngest kids" out there) He drinks, gambles, lies, cheats, never manages to keep a job, he threatened to shoot his ex wife once, and meant it. And now he lives with Grandpa. I didn't ask why, I can only imagine he was evicted or parolled or something.

So Grandpa and Uncle Elbert are going to town. Which around here means you are going to go off the mountain, ( we live on a mountain) on one side or another to a larger town where there is a WalMart, or at least more than one grocery store in that particular town. On this particular day they went off into a small town just across the Georgia line. Not sure why they were going but on the way there the car evidently made some sort of noise because when they stopped, Grandpa went in to the store and Elbert stayed outside to check out the car.

I don't really know how long Grandpa stayed in the store, but I do know it was long enough to forget Elbert was with him. I know this because he got in his car and started to pull away. Can you guess where Elbert was?? He was UNDER THE CAR. Now before I go any further I will tell you Elbert is alive. But only because of an angel of a man who saw what was happening and got Grandpa's attention and got him stopped. He did run over Elbert's arm though. Grandpa said he thought he felt a bump and he knew he'd hit somebody because when he got out of the car he could hear cursing coming from underneath it....pause...I'm laughing to hard to type....and he said he knew it was Elbert when he saw his platinum hair (not his natural color,..i have no explanation for it) coming out from under the car. Well, Grandpa apologized to Uncle Elbert for running him over with his car, but evidently this wasn't good enough to help
Elbert's feelings, because he continued to curse and stomp and pitch him a good fit. I think the only thing that stopped his fit pitching was when Grandpa got into his car and left him standing there, bleeding, in the parking lot. .

Elbert called his son to take him to the ER where they told him he had a broken arm but was a very lucky man,....ya think?? Anyway, it will be a miracle if these two can actually live in the same house without killing each other! Literally! Say a prayer, please. And include my Mother-in-Law and her other siblings who have to deal with the both of them!
And just you wait! I haven't EVEN started on my side of the family!

13 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Oh Deedra...You totally have a novel in you...I love your family stories..:))

Anonymous said...

I also love your family stories, even tho I already know about them. The one thing that does concern me is that this is the same blood that flows thru both of our precious childrens veins. As someone we both know very well would say, we just need to pray for them.

Rita Loca said...

Oh my goodness! I hope all turns out well!

Dianne said...

I love these stories!

Tonja said...

This is hilarious. I can just picture them both. What a hoot! Grandpa left him in the parking lot...

Tell us more!

Fiddledeedee said...

Oh. My. Goodness. That is priceless. My side of the family is the "colorful" one, but I can't write about them on my blog. Every so often they accidentally read my blog. And such a shame. They are such good blog fodder.

I'll live vicariously through you.

Lori said...

Oh my goodness, this is so funny! Archie Bunker who lives in the South. I love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, what a story! Thanks for the giggle tonight!

Connie Barris said...

I was sent over here by the Preacher's wife's blog...

I'm laughing too hard to write..

That is just the funniest thing...

thanks for the laugh

eph2810 said...

Oh.my.goodness...I am glad that both are still alive :) - thank you for sharing and making me smile this afternoon...

Alyson and Ford said...

What a riot! Keep the kids away from these two!

Alyson

Tracey said...

That is too funny--but I'm sure it wasn't while it was happening! Ahhh, our Southern relatives... gotta love 'em!

I love Lisa's picture on her post (where she linked your blog) with the Grumpy Old Men!

Too funny!

Crystal said...

LOL!!

I better not laugh too hard, I could totally see this happening to someone in my family! *grin*