....and a bottle of the nastiest brightest pinkest fingernail polish you can imagine. Those, my friends, have been just a few of my son's weapons of choice this week. And, by this week, I mean starting SUNDAY. This is TUESDAY.
I should have known I was in for it when he came running into the bathroom while I was getting ready for church on Sunday morning. He said, " Mama, mess!" I said, " Carter, did you make a mess?" He shook his head vigorously and said. "Daddy, Coke." He was being pretty specific so I decided I'd better check it out. He ran into our bedroom and climbed onto the bed and pointed to an empty Diet Coke can turned upside down, in a puddle, right smack in the middle of our bed. Great! So, I strip the bed, clean the mattress and carry on getting ready.
He was good during church..........mostly.
Sunday afternoon while we watched them put up the sign, Carter was facinated with all the bulldozers and backhoes and trucks in the area so he was pretty well occupied. ........mostly. He did however, manage to get black paint in his hair, on his scalp ( I just scraped the last of it off tonight!) and all over his hands while we had our backs turned for a moment.....
Monday night I was finishing up my bedtime routine and I thought Carter was watching tv with his dad when he came running into the bathroom. He said, "Mama, mess." (you better believe I'm passing the buck, do you know how many times a day I hear those words?) I said, "go tell Daddy" and carried on with what I was doing. He came back in a minute. More urgently this time, "Mama, Mess!" I followed him into the bedroom to find his dad sound asleep and ANOTHER big puddle on the bed. Carter said, "Daddy Coke" I'm 'bout to get ahold of daddy and his stinkin cokes he leaves within Carter's reach! So, it's 8:30-9ish and because I have no idea where our extra sheets are or how long since they have been washed, I strip the bed, wash and dry the sheets, and clean the mattress.................AGAIN!
This morning I was brushing my teeth and putting in my contacts in the bathroom...(I'm going to quit going to the bathroom!) when I smelled a funny smell. Carter was in the living room watching Diego but I hadn't heard him in a few minutes so I head out in search of the smell. He was hiding behind the couch with a bottle of pepto pink fingernail polish.......open! It was all over his hands, his pj's, some on the rug, some on the hardwood, some on the chair. I almost fainted. I think the fear of seeing pepto pink all over my house is the single thing that kept me upright at that moment. Thankfully, it all came out. I have no idea where he got that polish, I hope he doesn't have a stash of it somewhere!
I will spare you all the nasty details of our trip to the grocery store and how he stripped down while in there. By this time, I was so exhausted, I think I have blocked most of that experience out...... but I will tell you that at some point after lunch today I noticed I had something stuck between my two front teeth and I meant to go get it out....I remembered it on the way OUT of the grocery store....fabulous! Just fabulous!
If tomorrow starts off like the last couple of days have, I'm taking Carter to his Maw Maws to spend the day (it's supposed to be rainy and cold and we'll be trapped inside)..........please don't call to warn her!
p.s....reading back over this I would just like to clarify that we do watch our child.......mostly!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago


11 comments:
Oh I remember those days! Chin up someday you'll look back and smile real big!
Sounds like Carter is getting started on those terrible two's early.It does get better though. just look at Brantley, well wait a minute, that might not be a good idea. Boy will be Boys. Maybe this little girl will be like Kyla and be laid back most of the time. Lots of luck! You may need it!
Jennifer
How cute...I never realized that being a mom was a full time job- you just don't get a break!! At least I can go home at night and not take work with me : )
Oh girl you just have so much on your plate right now. I have soooo been there...lets see permenate black markers, tons of spilled cokes, milk, red juice...if it can be spilled it has.
I can not tell you how many times I have cried "I can never keep a pretty house with these three boys!!"
I won't tell you this is just the beginning because that would not be very nice. Nope would not mention that at all.
Hugs!!
Oh, my! That sounds just like a typical boy day...and I had 3 at one time...which is why I am grey now! Just enjoy and keep your sense of humor!
Even if you watch kids all the time they still get into things. Do you think they put some kind of spell on us? Being in the same house and close and they still make a mess??? It seems that it just happens. Ross had a knife and was cutting something on my kitchen table while I was standing in the kitchen cooking for pete's sake!!! By the time I got to him my table had marks (still there). Enjoy him while he is small!! Have a good day girl!!
You've got your hands full! But aren't they worth it!!! Love the stories, they make me feel better about myself and kids:)
Thanks for the reminder of those fun years when they are little!!
Just think it will be loud noises, weird clothes and who knows what the hair will be then when Carter gets in school.
Hope your week gets better!!
I am with you sister! Aubree does the same thing. Makes a mess and comes to tell me.(I think she brags about it sometimes). This age is lovely! Mess after mess after mess! My heart goes out to you being pregnant too! I guess when we look back on it we will laugh.
Holly
Oh girl. Maw Maw's might just be your answer right now! HA Maybe Carter knows his mommy is growing weak these last few weeks of being pregnant! He's seeing just how much he can get away with! Is he 2 yet??!?!??
Get some rest tonight! :)
Deedra, even though I know Carter is wearing you out, I can tell you have to be feeling much better than you have in the previous months. It is good to click on your blog and see you are blogging more these days. I enjoy your stories even if it is at the expense of our m-i-l sometimes. Lol. Don't worry she will not here it from me that you are bringing him over. Maybe she will set him straight. After all look at my how well she did with my "perfect" husband. Lol.
Oh girl, you have no idea how I feel your pain. I have to say I haven't had the fingernail polish experience, basically because it would be hard to find any in this house, but oh how my child has been a terrible 2 as of late. And, she's been sick all week so we've been in the house for days, and days, and days. Oh...it's been something! Oh, and my sister has a her 18 month old ate the nail polish story, yeah, how about that?
Post a Comment