Thankful can not begin to express my feelings today. A very large tornado (early estimations are an F3 or F4) came through our area this morning. We were up and prepared and I had called my family to wake them when I realized this tornado was heading our way. I knew everyone had been reached except for my mom. She lives alone and wasn't answering her phone. As we sat in our closet and waited it out among crib mattresses and pillows I prayed. After it was over I knew from the damage reports I'd gotten that it was close to her house and my aunts thought she was okay but no one had talked to her so until I made sure of that, I couldn't relax.
It took me an hour to make a 10 minute drive due to roadblocks and detours. But thanks to one local policeman (Thank you S.H.!!) who I knew that was over there helping out, and a slight hormonal breakdown, I finally made it through to check on her. She is fine! Thank goodness! Several homes within 100 yards from her house were completely destroyed and several injured, including a 4 month old baby and it's mother.
A mile or so away from her house a woman was killed when her house was completely demolished. There is nothing left of the house except blocks from the foundation. I have heard several reports of another death but that hasn't been confirmed yet. So many are injured, so many without a home, please remember this very small community when you pray....
Also, please remember the family of Mrs Tinker, the woman who was killed. Her daughter spoke to her right before the storm hit and she told her that she was fine, she was in the bathroom reading her Bible. Her Bible was beside her body in the field where she was found. My sister is very good friends with her daughter and went with her to the hospital to identify her mother's body. She said that Leslie, (the daughter) has found great peace in a message she heard only a few days ago. The message was from Rick Burgess after the drowning death of his young son. Please remember this family and all the others affected by todays storms in our area as well as across the other states that were hit.
In the picture below, the foundation is to the far left. The house was picked up, spun around and sat down again. A family with 2 small children were in the bathroom when this happened. Praise God, they are all okay! If you are from this area and wondering, this is Chad Gorham's house. It's on the same road as Pisgah High School.
It took me an hour to make a 10 minute drive due to roadblocks and detours. But thanks to one local policeman (Thank you S.H.!!) who I knew that was over there helping out, and a slight hormonal breakdown, I finally made it through to check on her. She is fine! Thank goodness! Several homes within 100 yards from her house were completely destroyed and several injured, including a 4 month old baby and it's mother.
A mile or so away from her house a woman was killed when her house was completely demolished. There is nothing left of the house except blocks from the foundation. I have heard several reports of another death but that hasn't been confirmed yet. So many are injured, so many without a home, please remember this very small community when you pray....
Also, please remember the family of Mrs Tinker, the woman who was killed. Her daughter spoke to her right before the storm hit and she told her that she was fine, she was in the bathroom reading her Bible. Her Bible was beside her body in the field where she was found. My sister is very good friends with her daughter and went with her to the hospital to identify her mother's body. She said that Leslie, (the daughter) has found great peace in a message she heard only a few days ago. The message was from Rick Burgess after the drowning death of his young son. Please remember this family and all the others affected by todays storms in our area as well as across the other states that were hit.
In the picture below, the foundation is to the far left. The house was picked up, spun around and sat down again. A family with 2 small children were in the bathroom when this happened. Praise God, they are all okay! If you are from this area and wondering, this is Chad Gorham's house. It's on the same road as Pisgah High School.


11 comments:
I had not heard about her reading her Bible. That gives me chills just thinking about it.
I'm glad your Mom is okay.
This has been one emotional day!
Deedra, I'm so glad to hear that you guys are ok. I'll remember the others as I pray tonight.
Praise God you and your family (and mom) are fine! How very horrible!!! What a testimony about that woman found with her bible (very sad but wonderful at the same time) Praying for the people in your area tonight!!!
So thankful that you are O.K. I was wondering about you southern gals! So sorry for the loss of life. What a beautiful tesitmony though huh! We will be praying for the people in your area! God Bless!
Deedra, so sorry to hear about the tornado's over there. I will be praying for all of the people affected by this.
In HIM -
Mindy
Wow, I am so glad that you are all okay. My heart and prayers go out to the families that are not.
PTL! You are all ok!!!
This is tragic. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of life and the4 devestation. I knoe it must have been so terrible not knowing about your Mom. Praise God for His protection.
What a testimony the lady with her Bible left for her family! Kind of like God was sending them a message..."She's with Me."
Glad you're okay! How scary for you all! A relief that we know the One who even commands the wind and rain!
A
Deedra,
I drove through Pisgah today and words can't describe the wrath mother nature laid down Wednesday morning. It is shocking.
I was up watching the news that morning and when I seen that it was coming through Pisgah I called my sister. She was sound asleep. I knew she would be......she could sleep through the most ear piercing storm. She and Lillie had been in the closet for about 5 minutes when she heard it go over. Praise God they are alive because today, when looking at the trail the tornado left, it was heading right for her house but took a turn and headed up co. rd. 60.
The last 6 months have been hard for the Pisgah community. The death of the football player hit by the car, Marina Kirby's death after her seizure, M. Darwins accident and now the tornado and death of Linda. What is God trying to say and what are we to learn???
Glad your family are all ok.
Everyone in your area will be in my prayers.
(here by way of Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife)
Post a Comment