...I hate severe weather.
I always have but that has reached new heights with the birth of my children. The Lord may well have delayed my having children due to the fact that I would never have survived a tornado season with children in a mobile home. Not Ever. I would have had a mental breakdown. I. Am. Serious.
....and I found out I was pregnant with Carter exactly 1 week before we moved into our new house. I'm just sayin'.
I grew up with a basement, and a weather aware dad who would wake us and send us down to the basement then go back up and watch the weather from the carport himself. Have I ever told you how much I love my dad? At 21 I married a fellow 21 year old who could, and still can, sleep through a hail storm, which in a mobile home sounds like a gunfight with you being the target. Needless to say, this was a major adjustment for me during severe weather.
I had every possible storm shelter mapped out carefully. Everything from the tile in the creek (which I can stand up in....yes, I checked!), to the neighbors houses, to the fire department about a mile away. The fire department turned out to be the best bet when we had adequate warning and you better believe I have woke my poor husband many times to haul ourselves to the shelter of that fire department building during severe weather, and once during a hurricane.
He probably wouldn't have went with me a few times if he hadn't been afraid I might get on the fire department or the sheriff department satellite radios if he weren't with me. He is always afraid I might bust out my very best "Breaker Breaker 1-9,...You Got them ears on?" over his fire radio. What can I say. He knows me well.
Anyway....this started out as a short, informative post and has festered into....well, this wealth of knowledge about me that I'm sure you could have all done just fine without today.
Weathercall from the National Weather Service.
In warning situations, mainly tornado, but you can pick which ones, they actually CALL you based on your street address. You can pick up to 3 phone numbers and 3 email addys (all cell phones have an email addy....FYI). It's $6.95 per year. Very well worth it if, like us, your weather radio can get turned off sometimes without your even knowing about it.
They also have gift certificates! Just in time for Christmas! Oh, and to my family...don't even bother....I already got GG one! Seriously, what a great gift idea for the one who has everything!
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago


4 comments:
I do not like it either. And it is supposed to be very bad here today. So, I am already planning the best way to get into school and back out to my car and then home. No, there will be no errands today...I want to be in my house and listening to the radio. I understand completely!
Thanks for the info. We've had issues with our weather radio too:)
I grew up with a basement, too, and even though I won't have one at the new house, at least it's a "built in." I can't deal with bad weather. Since Greg and I have been married, I have went to Pawpaw's several times to escape the possible wrath.
Thanks for the text this morning! I would have replied back, but somewhere in my groggy state, I was engrossed in trying to figure out Dan Satterfield. He can be a strange one!
I am loving me some storms and have been known to sleep through some bad weather myself. My very favorite weather is a a fabulous rainy day! It just screams for a long nap, but somehow it happens on work days so the naps can't happen! :-) BUMMER!
Post a Comment