Dear Eric,
Last Sunday morning your grandfather sat on the other end of our pew at church and your mom & dad sat in front of us. Carter ran his trucks into your paw paw so many times I just knew he'd smack him any second. Once, Tim turned around just in time to catch him flipping through a song book and whispering (loudly) "I'm reading my Bible, Mom.". Tim smiled and turned back around and in that moment I remembered how you used to sit with your parents often, in front of, behind, or on the same pew with us, and grin that mischievous grin of yours while you watched Carter's many antics during church.
Then I remembered what day it was.
November 30.
Before I could stop it my next thought was, "One year ago today was your last day here on earth." I couldn't stop the tears either. My goodness, I miss you.
After church we went to a birthday party in Center. I don't know another way to go, or I would have taken it, but I don't. On the way home, in the pouring rain, I passed a small white cross on the side of the interstate. I could barely breathe as I read your name on that cross. "A year ago tonight...." I kept thinking it over and over.
You, and all of "our" boys in the youth class came in to our lives at such a perfect time. Just when we were experiencing grief and sadness, you were all there to love us through....(and dunk us at Whitewater, and roll our yard with a potato gun in the rain, and give us sweaty hugs after every football game, and rescue me from the currents while whitewater rafting ...*thank you, A.J. for that one! Whew!* not to even mention dirt bike & 4 wheeler rides! ) We could never thank any of you enough for sharing such a special time in your lives with us. I miss those Wednesday nights terribly.
I will never forget that phone call early that Saturday morning. I will never forget when I ran into the church early that morning and into your Mother's arms, hearing the sounds of grief coming from that Holy place. Not ever.
You would be so proud of them, Eric. They haven't forgotten you....not at all, but they have relied on God and their family....and their church to get them through this year. I know this would make you so happy! I couldn't count the times you told me how much you wished they would come to church with you. I'm so grateful you got to see that prayer answered! We sat on your couch last week talking about the upcoming anniversary and the tribute your mom had written. When I got home later that night, I thought about all of your requests and how they are still being answered....even after you are gone.
Today, December 5, you would have been 21. I know the celebrations in heaven far surpass any earthly comparison. I know you've had a wonderful day. While we still miss you beyond any words we could speak, I have peace in knowing that I will see you again in our eternal home. The angel you gave me that first Christmas you came to church sits on the mantel where I can see it and think of you and that promise every day.
Until we meet again we'll "Keep on keepin' on"
Love,
"Miss" Deedra
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago


4 comments:
Wonderful Tribute letter! You will all be in my thoughts through this hard time! Praising God at this young man's prayers being answered!
What a beautiful post, Deedra. Surely this family's hearts must be broken these days. I am so sorry...
How sad, but what a blessing! God's ways are not ours to understand...but that does not make them any easier to bear. What a difference it seems that Eric made in your life. I pray you and his family are filled with peace today.
What a sweet way to honor Eric with a heart felt letter to him today. I too, know how hard it is to loose a loved one at such a young age but thank God for His Grace, His Kindness and His Comfort to help us through the rough times in our lives.
Post a Comment