Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Meditations



UPDATE: Click HERE to see the winner of the Spectacular Giveaway!!

<span class=

Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone has gotten their greens & black eyed peas today! Or is that only in the south? I'm not one to make New Years Resolutions, but when I saw that Lori (formerly known as Laurel Wreath) was doing a New Years Meditations, I knew this was something I wanted to participate in!

I have been reading and re-reading the book Spectacular Sins, by John Piper, preparing for a book club with Lisa. I don't normally get to do a lot of extra reading these days, with two little ones, but I do love a good book when I get the chance! To say this is a good book is a huge understatement! It's a fantastic book! It's deep, but written in a manner that even the newest of Christians (or someone with Mommy-Brain) can understand.

This book along with other things in the world and in my own life have given me new insights, renewed hunger to hold as close as I possibly can to God. I look at the world today and it scares me to think about what it will be like in 10 or 15 years when my babies are stepping out into the world as teenagers. I pray that we can instill in them knowledge and faith in God that will be unshakable no matter what they face.

....and by "we" in that last sentence I mean God, my husband and myself, our families, church, community. I mean everyone that comes into regular contact with them.

I hold myself accountable to those I come into contact with as well. From my Sunday School class, Awana class, nieces, nephews, family, community, and anyone I come into contact with.

The saying "it takes a village" is more true now than ever before! So I guess that would have to be my New Years Meditation. I want to be the best I can be in every area of my life with the understanding that every breath I take is for the sole purpose of bringing glory to God.

My goodness, how I fail Him.

I am also starting to read The One Year Chronological Bible with the start of the new year and I'm excited about reading the Bible in this way! There are several studies going on using this Bible and I look forward to gaining insight from each of them.

I am also challenging us to become more self-sufficient, more "green", more "live off the land", if you will, as a family. After all, God created this beautiful world for us to live on, the very least we can do is take care of it!

I will stop right there on that topic for fear of getting more "resolution" than "meditation". I'm sure you'll hear more about that as the year progresses! Especially considering the fact that every year when I start talking about "my garden" my husband wants to know how many acres I want to plant. I start having flashbacks of the summer he talked me into planting "acres" of watermelons. Guess who had to help hoe them? Or the summer we planted "acres" of sweet corn. Guess who helped pick it?

Didn't I say I was "stopping right there"?


Anyway! In the spirit of the new year and the wonderful book I have been reading I am going to be giving away a copy of Spectacular Sins. It is truly a great book and a must read for every Christian today.

All you have to do is leave a comment on this post to be entered to win. I'll announce the winner on January 7th!

In the meantime, head over to visit Lori, formerly known as Laurel Wreath, to join in her New Years Meditations . You can join until the 6th!

Thanks for hosting this Lori, and I totally think you should go by Lori, formerly known as Laurel Wreath.....haha!

UPDATE: Click HERE to see who won the Spectacular Giveaway!!

28 comments:

pcb said...

Thanks for the opportunity to win...sounds like a book I need! Best to you in 2009.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

I'm so excited you are doing the book club!! I'll be announcing the start date this week..Look toward mid to end January..:))

Love ya!

Susanne said...

I'd love to have a copy of that book! Been wanting to read it ever since I saw Lisa first post about it!! Sign me up!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! ;-)

TheiaT said...

Deedra,

I just bought the One Year Chronological Bible tonight...and I'll be John Brown if you didn't write about it! Perhaps we can stick with it together...I'm trying again! I'm ashamed that I've never read the Bible all the way through, so I'm going for it!

Thanks for the contest!

Lori said...

You crack me up. I enjoyed reading your meditations. I think I have that book (will have to run go look) I have a bookshelf of read books and a book shelf of unread books. Sad I know, but I do real A LOT.

Thanks for the suggestion. Look forward to growing in Christ with you in 2009.

Carrie said...

I would love to have this book. I've had such a thirst for more knowledge of God's Word. Reading the Chrono Bible was a start, now this would be the icing on the cake!

Glad you had a wonderful Christmas. Wishing you a Happy New Year!


Thanks!

Carrie

Bonnie said...

Yes... meditations run to resolutions. Funny how we can talk ourselves into that, isn't it? The book sounds great, I might have to pick it up even if I don't win. Thanks for doing the giveaway in conjunction with this. May your 2009 goals be met with God's grace and help!! Be blessed.

Aimie said...

Yes, I would love to win! Thanks for the chance to! I have just heard about this book at church yesterday, It sounds really good!

Happy New Year by the way! :)

Cheryl said...

Count me in!! I love to read. I'm still waiting to get snowed in so I can stay home a few days! That is when I get my reading time. Have a great week girlfriend!

The Murray's said...

I would love to win this book. Ever since Lisa mentioned she was doing this book I have meant to go and buy it and now maybe I can win it!

Lost My Mind said...

I would love to be able to win this book so I could do the book club w/ Lisa

Patty said...

I hope I win this book! Thank you so much for this giveaway.

Blessings,
Patty

mom~of~4 said...

I am so excited about what God is already doing this new year. As always I am thanking God for leading us to such a loving church and great people. I am excited that God seen it was time to draw 3 of our 4 children to Him with all their brokeness this past New Years Eav. HE IS GOOD! I am excited about this study as well.
Love ya Deedra!!

mom~of~4 said...

I meant Eve.I have had a rough day already and it is only 10:30. lol

Anonymous said...

I found your blog over at THE PREACHERS WIFE, I would love the chance to win this book. I love your blog, also.

Christy said...

I'd love to win a copy of this book! I have 6 little ones so I'm definitely stretched for time, but I really want (and NEED) to make spending time with the Lord and reading His Word and about His Word a priority! Thanks for the opportunity to win a copy. :)

Mocha with Linda said...

I'd love to win this book! Thanks for hosting the giveaway!

Carolyn G said...

This sounds like a great book I would love reading. Thanks for the chance to win.

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

Hello-a lurker here! The book looks good!

~Analisa~ said...

Oh, I hope I win!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this book in our local stores and haven't been able to find it. I would love to win it...thanks for the opportunity.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the opportunity to win a book. I love to read and even with eight children read as much as possible. Have a great day!

jenmom said...

Hey! I would love to get my hands on a copy of the Spectacular Sins book. I am expecting a baby end of February and know I will be spending some weeks at home with the newborn. The book club Lisa is hosting would be a perfect way to stay connected while having to stay with the baby and 3 year old.
Thanks for the opportunity!
Jennifer
jenmom1707@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I would love this book! :)

Anonymous said...

I saw the link to your blog at The Preacher's Wife and would love a chance to win this book. Enoyed your blog! Thanks!
Steph
stephanie@hope139.com

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Came over from Lisa's (The Preachers Wife) Blog and wanting a chance to win the Book.
Thanks,
Lynn
ljgolf823@comcast.net

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Sounds like a great book! Thanks for a chance to win!

Butterfly 211 said...

I would really like to read this book. Please enter me in.