Monday, October 27, 2008

Little Green Pumpkin

....Once upon a time there lived a little green pumpkin. The little green pumpkin lived among the big beautiful orange pumpkins in the pumpkin patch. Little Green feared he would lead a sad life for he knew that he would never grow to be big, beautiful and orange before the people stopped coming to visit the pumpkin patch this year.

There was a little boy in a land nearby who loved green. He was going to the pumpkin patch called Down On The Farm (seriously!) and made sure his mom dressed him in his green hat, his green shirt, and green boots for the trip. He looked very fashionable indeed! He met up with his buddies for a fun day of play.
The little boy, his mom, sister, & friends kicked off the day of fun with a hayride to the pumpkin patch. The ride was bumpy and dusty but filled with friendly conversation and great anticipation of the upcoming search for just the right pumpkin. The little boy and his Uncle Clay looked high and low for the perfect one. They looked over all the beautiful orange ones, but they just wouldn't do. The little boy had a special pumpkin in mind so he looked and looked until he found just the right one. "Here it is, Mom!" he said with glee. "I found a green pumpkin just the right size for me!" So back on the wagon with his friends and his loot, his mom and his sister and a kitty cat to boot!After the ride the, the little boy joins his big cousin Rachel and the rest of his buddies to paint their pumpkins. The Little Green Pumpkin was so excited, not only was he going to a new home, he'd finally have a beautiful face! Though not quite the beauty Little Green Pumpkin had imagined, he loved his face all the same, and sat in the sun with the big pumpkins to dry. He watched as his new little friend explored the rest of the farm with his mom, sister, & friends. The little boy loved feeding the animals. They fed cows, chickens, donkeys, turkeys, and goats that were up real high. They rode the cow train, the trikes, the combine slide, and played in the corn bin. Even the little boy's baby sister had a good time!

Even though they were having such fun Little Green Pumpkin couldn't wait until time to go home.
The little boy picked up Little Green Pumpkin and away they went. He just couldn't believe he was going to a new home!

He had visions of big beautiful fall displays, dreamed of centerpieces, and decorated hall ways!
He was placed on the front porch with the Big orange pumkins and beautiful mums. He loved greeting visitors and overlooking the little boy as he played. But Little Green Pumpkin went missing one day. The little boy looked and he looked, his mom helped him too. What could have happened, Little Green, where are you?

They searched and searched, but this all came to an end, when they discovered Little Green Pumpkin had met their furry dog friends.
"We'll miss you, Little Green Pumpkin", the little boy said, as he sadly looked on. He wished his pumpkin friend happiness in his heavenly pumpkin home.

The End.

13 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm sorry for your boy's pumpkin.
I had no idea that dogs like pumpkins so much but this is the third story I've heard of dogs stealing pumpkins.
My cousin took her kids to the same pumpkin patch....=)
I can tell by the cow train!

Tonja said...

What a sad end to the Little Green Pumpkin. I hope the little boy took it well.

Great story teller!

Dianne said...

You are indeed a great story teller. Sorry the pumpkin met such a bad end, but glad the little boy had such a great time. He's adorable, by the way! :-)

Holly said...

YOUR STORY WAS GREAT BUT I WAS NOT EXPECTING SUCH A SAD END. IT MAKES ME WANT TO GO GET HIM A NEW GREEN PUMPKIN THIS WED. AS WE GO TO THE PUMPKIN PATCH FOR THE SECOND TIME. THIS TIME WILL BE MUCH DIFF. WITH THE WHOLE KINDERGARTEN CLASS. SAY A PRAYER! LOL

Karri said...

Poor little green pumpkin:(( Several of our pumpkins have also met the same fate. Our dogs actually eat the things. Who knew dogs ate pumpkin?

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

NOOOOOOO!!

Please tell me the green pumpkin didn't die??!!

My day is ruined, RUINED now I tell you. That baby loved that punkin' so much. You tell Carter that we will be on the lookout for another when we go back to the Patch Wednesday for the THIRD time this fall...lol

Love you! Great Story by the way. Totally a children's book...:)

Carrie said...

Who knew you were such the children's book author? That was awesome!!

Sad for the ending though:(

Full of Grace said...

Oh My Goodness, what a sweet story, sad ending but sweet nonetheless. Thank You for giving me a smile today, I had a rough one today so you helped me!

Jen said...

that poor sweet baby! my little girl went to the pumkin patch today.. wish I had know I would have had her get him another one..... excellent story writing.... maybe you found a new career... :)

Shaunta said...

Girl, you know how to tell a story! I'm sad that I don't have a green pumpkin to give Carter, but if I had some green paint, he would totally have one!

A Stone Gatherer said...

At first I smiled then I was sad! That poor little boy and his green pumpkin! I sure hope another one crosses his path soon!

Anonymous said...

This is it!! Your first children's book! Get it published.
Wendy

terri said...

Well that was some good story-telling, but a sad, sad ending.
And all the cute pictures made me miss EVEN more our REAL pumpkin patches. ahh........