Tuesday, March 13, 2007

In God's Time



"One of the secrets to a happy marriage is remembering the source of our joy, which is not one another. The source of our joy is the Lord. Yes, we share tons of joyous moments, but we don't expect, let alone demand, endless joy-filled moments from each other. "~ Liz Curtis Higgs ~from the devotional: Rise and Shine


My husband and I have now been married for 10 years. About 5 years into our marriage we decided to try to have children. That didn't go as we'd hoped, so we ended up trying fertility treatments. At last, I became pregnant! We were so excited! But on my first trip to the Doctor, we found out there was a problem. Three weeks later I had to have a D&C.

A year, another doctor, and more fertility treatments later I was pregnant again! We were so excited! This was it! At 11 Weeks, the doctor found no heartbeat. Another D&C. I was so devastated I couldn't even cry for a while. Then when I started crying, I couldn't stop. I would wake up in the middle of the night crying. My husband just didn't understand. Or so I thought.

This was such a terrible strain on our marriage. The ups and downs of these few years really took it's toll. I threw myself into work, church, anything that would take my mind off of what was really going on. My husband did the same. Through this, however, my husband and I became really involved in our youth group at church. We became so close to these kids. The issues that came up in their lives made us take another look at ours. It was like we got another chance to see where we'd been, what we had been through together. And God was always there with us. Right from the beginning. We actually met in church when we were 16. We saw our blessings laid out before us. We both realized that God is the source of our strength and our happiness. We realized that in Him, we can get through any trial or tribulation. You just have to let go, and let God.

So when we finally let God. God did it right. We were pregnant again. No shots, no drugs. This time we were blessed with a beautiful baby boy. God's time certainly wasn't our time, but it was the right time. We were financially in a position we weren't in 5 years ago, and I can stay home with my baby. I also hadn't planned on being a brand spanking new mom at 30, but again, God's time. Through all that we went through, I have an appreciation of this wonderful gift, that I wouldn't have had 5 years ago. And through the tribulations, our marriage is strengthened. That wasn't the case 5 years ago. The source of our joy IS the Lord,....and just in case we ever forget that, we have our beautiful little reminder!

5 comments:

Tracey said...

What a great post. Congrats to you and hubby and your precious baby.

I had a friend that went through the same thing, but unfortunately the stress and failures of pregnancy and treatment after treatment was too much on her marriage and he left her. So sad.

I'm so happy the Lord has blessed you with a precious baby (30 is not TOO old to start!) and a wonderful marriage!

Denise said...

Many sweet blessings to you, your husband, and your precious child. I really enjoyed reading your post.

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this very touching story. It truly is amazing what God does with us and our hearts when we release it all over to Him. I became a first time mother just shy of my 31st birthday, what a difference it would have been had I been 21 or even 26! God is so perfect in all He does for us!

Take care,
Amy

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I always love hearing stories of how God brings people through incredibly painful times. It helps me to remember that no matter what is going on, God will always be there.

Darlene Schacht said...

You are so blessed! Awesome. I laughed at the term "brand spanking new mom" lol.