First of all, I want to thank everyone for the prayers during the last week! We have certainly felt them, and most certainly have felt the presence of God during this time. Last week did not go well and there were some twists and turns that we didn't expect, but yesterday we got encouraging news regarding my mom, so hopefully things are looking up!
In other terribly sad news we had to say goodbye to our faithful dogs of 10 years last week. Our chocolate lab, Lexie, had been limping around for a while and a big knot had come up, so I heard her whining last Tuesday night and took her in to the vet on Wednesday. He did an xray and found that she had a tumor on her right shoulder. He showed me on the xray where the tumor was growing on the inside of her bone, causing the bone to expand, which he said had to be incredibly painful for her. The vet said that this cancer is very aggressive and terminal, so he recommended we put her down to keep her from being in such awful pain. Carter was with me, so we went in to say our goodbyes to our faithful friend, and as she always did, she wagged her tail with joy when she saw us coming. We petted her and talked to her for a little while, then we said our final goodbye. Of course, Carter didn't understand that Lexie wasn't coming with us so when we left he was saying, "Come on, Lexie...Come on, girl".
So you can imagine my surprise when later that afternoon we were outside and I heard the whining again. I knew it wasn't Lexie, so we went off in search of our other dog, Sam, a yellow lab also 10 years old, who hangs out at the barn alot chasing rats, and squirrels, and trucks, and tractors. I finally found him. He was hurt pretty bad. It looked like either other dogs, or most likely a coyote(s) had gotten hold of him. His ear was chewed up real bad, and he had several gashes on his sides and legs. It didn't look good, but Sam has survived so much! We have said several times that he has 9 lives because every time you think he isn't going to make it, he bounces back! He even survived what the vet thinks had to be a bear attack several years ago, with a minor surgical scar on his leg! Anyway, I doctored him for two days with medicine the vet sent home with us but by Friday night it was obvious even to me that he wasn't going to make it, and I agreed to let him be put down. I just couldn't stand to see him hurting like he was any longer.
We buried him beside Lexie. Behind the barn. He'd like that, this way he could oversee all the action that goes on around here. Carter doesn't understand that they aren't coming back and still insists on putting out food for them everyday. I finally hid the dog food container yesterday in hopes that "out of sight" will be "out of mind".
So, needless to say I was looking for a "getaway" of any kind this past weekend when my husband suggested we take Carter to the rodeo that was in town. Yee Haw! Let's go!
And I'm so glad we did! Carter had such a good time! At first he was all about riding the ponies, but once he got on....he wasn't so sure. He held on for dear life for a few rounds, but then once he had the hang of it, he loved it! He rode with a smile the size of Texas! Then when he got off, as the man who helped him off the pony handed him to me, I asked him if he had fun, Carter said "Mama, I go ride bull now!" Well, Okay! The pony guy cracked up and so did everyone else within earshot!
We bribed him into sitting still to watch to rodeo by telling him that if he was good, he could ride the ponies again before we left. He was good as gold!
So, without further ado, here are the rodeo pics I just know you've been waiting for!
....and, this is my favorite pic of Carter, Lexie, and Sam....he used to sit in his high chair and watch them on the back porch for what seemed like hours. They just watched him back, I always wondered what they were thinking....all 3 of them!..lol



12 comments:
Sorry to hear about your dogs.
I'm praying for your mom.
Oh Deedra, I can't imagine having to put two dogs down in one week. Our labs, just like yours i'm sure, are just as much a part of our family as Hayden is. I love the picture of Carter and the dogs looking at each other.....so sweet!
Still praying for you, your mom and family. Don't forget to take care of yourself through all this. If you need a break, I am here anytime you need be.
Girl what a week. Still praying for you.
Caption to the picture of the two dogs: Dogs think "I want in", Carter thinks "I want out" =))
Love the picture of him standing on the railing with this boots...TOO PRECIOUS.
Ok, I really did not need to start my day in tears, but of course, that is my language!! I am praying for you. Let me know if I can do anything!
That last pic just ripped my heart out! How adorable! And how memorable that will be years from now! Sorry you had such a sad week, but looks like God sent you an expected blessing in the midst.
You and you Mom are in my prayers!
Blessings to you!
So sorry to hear about your dogs. After 10 years they aren't just dogs anymore but have become such a part of the family. I know they will be missed. I love the pics of Carter at the rodeo! He is adorable! I can't wait for Clayton to get a little bigger so that they can go play in mud puddles. :)
Still praying for you and your mom!
Love ya!
So soory to hear about your dogs. Saying goodbye to a much loved pet is a hard thing to do. You've had a tough week, huh?
I am praying for you, the situation with your mom, and peace for your family.
that should be "sorry", not "soory". I am typing with one hand with a baby in one arm. I'm sure you understand. :)
Oh, my dear, I am so sorry. You have had such a rough few weeks. Sometimes it does seem to pile up doesn't it?
I am sorry you are having difficulties with your Mother. I am sure that has to be so hard. I pray that God will give you guidance and peace. Trust His leadership and you will do the right thing for all concerned.
I can't imagine having to put 2 dogs down. My hart is so sad for you. Animals are such a sweet blessing from God, and I know you will miss them so much. May God ease your heart.
So sorry about your doggie family! That would be really rough! We had to put our lad down almost 5 years ago! My kids still talk about him like he's still around! Bekah just said yesterday how she missed him! They are such a wonderful part of the family! I love the pictures too!
Just want to tell you that we are praying for you and your entire family. I know this has been a trying week in many ways, but we wanted to say THANK YOU for still being there for Rachel. You are an awesome aunt who never lets her down. Hope you know how much she loves you and I know she will never forget all the time you give her.
Love you all,
Tammy
I'm so sorry about the loss of your family pets. It is widely known that I do not like dogs but I understand the attachment a person can have with their pet. (I do like big dogs who just stand there wagging their tail- your dogs looked like that kind!)
I've been meaning to write you concerning your last post because it seems our lives growing up are similar. (In regards to our mothers anyway) I have recently accepted the fact that my mother is bipolar. She was diagnosed as this a few years ago but I didn't really know the characteristics of this disease. I looked it up on the internet and she has every symtom listed. What has made it so difficult for me to accept that she has a mental illness is that she can be so normal during certain periods of time. Over the years I have grown so angry and have wanted to scream, "What is wrong with you?" I have always longed for a "normal" mom, but it just doesn't seem possible. (She won't stay on medication long enough to make her feel better)
Anyway, I've said all that to say that I can relate in some way and that I'm praying for you and your mom.
Love ya, Brooke
Post a Comment