Saturday, July 19, 2008

Help me pray?

I would like to ask you to pray for my step mom's family. Her brother, Lowell (56), has fought prostate cancer for a couple of years now and has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumor as well. He underwent radiation treatments for the tumor and has now completed all treatment that is available to him at this time. The treatments, and I'm sure the cancer itself, have left him so weak.

My step mom, Sharon, has 11 siblings. She has a twin sister and 10 other brothers and sisters. This family has such a close bond. I can say for sure, with absolute certainty, that I have NEVER heard one of her siblings speak a cross word about anyone or to anyone. They are some of the sweetest most caring and genuine people you will ever come across!

They are also a family of Christians. They have strong faith and know that God's will will be done.

But I know that they are sad. Sad that their brother is hurting and weak. Sad that the cancer seems to be taking him from them. And this makes me so sad.

As I was talking to my dad a bit ago, Sharon and two of her sisters had just returned from visiting Lowell. It didn't sound like he'd had a very good day. Sharon has also spent a few nights there this week to give Lowell's wife, Deborah, a bit of a break.

I just ask that you would pray for Lowell's comfort during this time, and for his family as they care for him and each other. I also pray that my siblings and I can be there for Sharon and her family as they are always there for us....doing anything that they can, never having to be asked, never expecting anything in return.

One more thing. There is another family from my very small hometown that has received devastating news the last couple of weeks. If you are local, they own the Christmas Tree Farm in Rosalie. The husband has just been diagnosed with a very fast growing terminal brain tumor. I know that this family would appreciate your prayers as well! This family also is such a good hearted family! Both the husband and the wife manned the community center for countless hours during the cleanup from the tornado.

One thing that I will never forget about them. The wife was my 5th grade teacher, and every year on their anniversary he would send her a rose for every year they'd been married. At that time it was in the high 20's or early 30's I'm guessing! I'll never forget how her face would light up when the roses arrived! I have always thought about that when I see them. I think that's just about one of the sweetest anniversary traditions I've ever heard of!

My grandmother worked at the community center most every day during the cleanup effort that has just recently ended, or at least on a 7 day a week basis. Carter & I visited her there alot during that time so we have spent a lot of time with Mrs. Joy (as all her students called her) lately. And Carter loves her just as much as every student who ever darkened her door!!

Please join me in praying for this family as well, I know that both families will appreciate every prayer that goes up on their behalf!

One more thing! A large group from our church will be leaving for a mission trip later this week. I ask that you pray for them and their safety, and that God will prepare the hearts of those who are going on the trip, and those who they are going to minister to!

Thank you!


Again,....Ya'll are awesome!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Deedra one of the hardest things in life is to see a loved one hurting. I can only imagine what your step Mom is going through. Praying for her family. Also praying for the man at the Christmas Tree farm and the mission trip.

Rita Loca said...

Praying for you and your family at this time.
It was good to hear from you again over at my blog!!!

Judith said...

We just heard about Gay yesterday. He and Joy are such a witness and such workers in their church and community. Thanks for the prayer request for the mission trip we will feel the prayers as we minister.

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Definitely praying...